1 Peter 1:13-25
Observations on 1:13-16: In verse 13, subordinate two key participles (“having girded up”-anazosamenoi-Aor. Mid. Ptc. and “being sober-minded”-nephontes-Pres. Act. Ptc.) to the first imperative which occurs in 1 Peter (“set hope”-elpisate-Aor. Act. Imper.). In verse 14, note the key phrase “not fashioning yourselves”-suschematizomenoi-Pres. Mid. Ptc.
In verse 15, note the second imperative in these verses: “be (holy)”-genethete-Aor. Pas. Imper.
In verse 16, note the use of the OT text of Lev. 11:44.
Preaching 1:17-21: “Fearful and Fearless”
Main Idea: Only as you fear the Lord properly can you face your future fearlessly.
- Relish the responsibility of fearful living. (17b)
- positive treatment in Scripture (Psa. 130:4, Prov. 9:10, Isa. 66:22)
- a declaration to disciples (Luke 12:4-7)
- conduct yourselves-anastraphete-Aor. Pas. Imper.-with fear-(phobo)
- during the time (chronon) of your exile (paroikias)
- … recognizing the total impartiality of the Lord (17a)
- a Father who is judging (krinonta)-Pres. Act. Ptc.
- without respect of persons (aprosopolemptos)-“without receiving face”
- according to each one’s works
- Privileged status does not convey license to sin.
- … knowing the tremendous value of your deliverance (18-21)
- immeasurable worth-you were redeemed –(elutrothete)-Aor. Pas. Ind.
- precious blood (timioi haimati)
- unblemished lamb (amnou a momou)
- eternal origin: foreknown (proegnosmenou) before the foundation (kataboles)
- divine certification: raised (egeiranta) and glorified (doxan)
Observations on 1:22-25: In verse 22, note the phrase “having purified” (hegnikotes)-Perf. Act. Ptc. and subordinate it to “love” (agapesate)-Aor. Act. Imper.
In verse 23, note the supportive/subordinate role of “having been born again” (anagegennemenoi)-Perf. Mid. Ptc. (definite past action with abiding results).
In verses 24-25, note the OT reference from Isa. 40:6, 8.