There are six imperatives that mark this last section of 2 Timothy
Paul begins and ends this last section of the book with the command for Timothy to (σπουδασον) Make Every Effort (vs. 9 and vs. 21) (hurry; zealous)
Challenge: In Light of What’s Coming & What Has Come
NOTE: The Context of the Passage:
- 1 – The Lord is Coming
- 3 – Apostacy is Coming
- 5-6a – Affliction is Coming
- 6 – Death is Coming
- 8 – Judgment is Coming
- 9 – Are YOU Coming?
PLEA – Come and come Quickly!
- Because of what is happening
In this case, do you know what else is coming … WINTER!
- Hurry up … (v. 21) Come before winter!
BRING – Mark, my Coat, and my books!
BEWARE – He did me harm; beware lest he do YOU harm
You might title this message: Make Every Effort!
Here, Paul contrasts what IS coming w/ what HAS come
– Here is HIS final challenge –You need to come, in light of what IS COMING!
These are present realities that define our Christian responsibility …
WHY the Work of the Lord needs YOU:
A. The Work of the Lord Needs YOU, because some have Forsaken (10)
- Demas has forsaken (Col. 4:14; Phil 1:24; 4:10)
B. The Work of the Lord Needs YOU, because there is work to be done – Ministry Needs (11–13)
- Bring my books! (Minister’s Need Books!)
C. The Work of the Lord Needs YOU, because the Opposition to God’s People is Significant (14)
- Alexander the Coppersmith did me great harm!
- You need to beware of him
D. The Work of the Lord Needs YOU, because there are People who Need You (16)
- No one stood with me (lonely, abandoned)
- Bring something to me; stand here beside me (17); come when I need you (21)
- Are You Going to be Faithful HOW God Wants to Use You?
- Are You Going to be Faithful WHEN God wants to Use You?
Make Every Effort!